Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Arrivederci & Buongiorno!


The scene at Dulles International in Washngton, DC was one of pure excitement and nervousness. As Spiro, Eleni and I stepped through the security gates, waving goodbye to our loved ones and family, I knew it would hit me on the plane. Well, that didn't happen. I was assigned to the 23rd row, while Spiro and Eleni enjoyed each other's company in the emergency aisle. They looked so comfortable! I didn't mind, though. When you put the map in front of me with our location, and put me in a window seat I become a five year old at a carnaval! I saw Long Island, Maine, Canada, England, and my favorite sight: Dublin. All at night from the air! (Okay, maybe I am into urban design, but it was still cool as shit!)

We landed as the sun was rising above the clouds in Frankfurt, Germany. Although the skies were overcast, I was still disappointed that I didn't see any castles....do they even have them? Well, it may be Europe, which is different from the US in some regards, but apparently they got the memo to have their airport under major renovation. Hand-written signs and some sketchy dead-ends later, we finally exited the stairwell-of-death (named after Eleni's almost tradgic slip and fall) through a door which I was sure to send the K9s and AK47s our way with a violent alarm. I am happy to report: nothing happened! I made my first purchase in Euros at the airport drugstore for a warm bottle of water. No, it wasn't cold, and no, they don't believe in ice. We boarded our next plane and were soon flying over the Alps....and absolutely breathtaking sight! White jagged edges peirced the clouds below as we cruised into Italian air-space. After flying on a large 767, the Lufthansa Airbus was a little shakey in the landing. Wine vinyards: here we come!! We landed safely, all body parts intact, and headed to baggage. With little wait we had all our 10 bags and passed through customs. Literally, we just walked through the door. Nice. Well the wait was eternity for our reserved driver who never showed. Spiro used his persuasive Greek smile to hitch us a ride. Only problem: this, ladies and gentlemen, was Mission Impossible. 10 bags, 4 people, 1 Mercedes sedan. Want a visual? How the Grinch Stole Christmas! That's all I have to say! No, it probably wasn't legal, and yes Eleni's legs were falling asleep, but we were in Rome! ROME!

Well the taxi driver was excited that we were here to study architecture, so he gave us a breif city tour while grazing pedestrians at unmanagable speeds! He pulled right into the busy market in Campo di Fiori, parked and said "OKAY! We're here!" ....right....we almost crashed on the highway five times over, made hair-pin turns which left luggage falling on my head, took the TRAM LANE in the city and ran over about 7 people including 2 children. Thank God we're here!!

So 12 hours and two plane rides later, we finally made it to our apartment which overlooks the hottest night-life area in Rome. As well as an open-air market during the day, Piazza Campo di Fiori ("Field of Flowers") offers bars, restaurants, panini shops and cafes which I visit everyday! This is going to be awesome......

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun. Sounds like Ania, no Iza was your cab driver hahahaha

Sara (aka Princess) said...

Rome night life?? Can it handle two Tumeys at once? I am there in about a month & a half! Wine vinyards beware! Love ya!

Ania said...

Europe rocks!!! I like those crazy drivers. Driving in US in boring, that's why I fall asleep all the time! It never happened in Poland ..... Have fun Erin..... I am jealous.

kelly said...

wow!!!! erin im so glad you are safe....drink some wine for me!!! you are gona have the time of your life!!!! just remember one rule to live by..lol..dont do anything i wouldnt do....you have a big window there...lol..xoxox.kelly

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Have fun and enjoy everything that there is to experence. Be Safe. CFPI Timing.

karen said...

When in Rome, do as Romans do!! Great story!! Keep them coming and take lots of pictures !!

Andrew said...

I am glad you made it there safe and sound. At least one of us didn't have guns pulled on them in Frankfurt. Enjoy Rome. It is so beautiful!!!

Kevin said...

Wow, what a wonderful view!! I am so happy you arrived and settled in. The flight over sounded great. Did you wave to our Irish Family just north of Dublin?

It's a long way from the day you played in the mud at the head of the driveway or dancing in Kelly's pink sneakers to New Kids on the Blocker!!!

Now that you are in GG's Family Homeland, enjoy the country, food and wine. My Dad told me last June he was so proud of you. He is smiling at you.

Enjoy ever moment of this time of your life. You will carry these memories forever.

Love You, Dad